Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The War of Independence - Winner, Non-Fiction, 1930

The War of Independence
By: Claude H. Van Tyne
Houghton, 1929

I do apologize for the delay in this post, but this book was such a BEATING that it took me a month to get through it. OK, so I'm being a little dramatic, but it was rough. I think part of the problem is that it is volume 2 of Van Tyne's series, The Founding of the American Republic. It became a series when Van Tyne began writing and realized that he could fit it all into one volume, but only the second volume won the Pulitzer. Because he is in the middle of the story, I didn't feel like I fully understood where he was picking up. He also does not write a chronological narrative but focuses more on topical subjects, so I lost interest quickly. The Pulitzer was awarded posthumously, which I find interesting, but that is about it.

I did continue on with my reading while finishing this one, so I will have a post for Laughing Boy within the next couple of days!

No comments: